It's going to be 2010 in a few days. What?! Unbelievable. Totally. I thought I was going to be old in 2010. Wrong again. Didn't we only click over to 2000 last year? Y2K and all that? Has 10 years passed that quickly? Does that mean I'm about to turn... the big four oh? Oh.
Christmas came and went so quickly that I hardly picked up my camera. I had planned to show you the wonders of our Christmas table, and now, after the fact, I feel explanations wouldn't do justice to the feast, and/or would just be very boring. I will however, give a dot point run down...
- shortbread with pistachios, with craisins
- 3 types of fruit cake
- rum balls
- cherry slice with choc top (will blog at a later date- FAB)
- an assortment of cheeses and dips and crackers and nibbles
Then on Christmas day...
... I actually won't go into breakfast... or morning tea... this is lunch...
- an Asian inspired rice noodle and prawn salad (made by my sister) light, tasty and delicious.
Main: Smorgasbord style...
- roast pork with crackling
- roast chicken x 2
- beautiful herb rolled beef, cooked med-rare and sliced
- creamy potato bake
- crisp green salad
- roast pumpkin and beetroot with marinated feta and pine nuts (oh yeah)
- Unbelievable Bangalow Ham
- assorted condiments
- Mini (well, tennis ball size) date puds with white chocolate drizzle and a jaffa on the top.
- Mum's can't-be-beaten (unless your father's a dairy farmer) custard
- Vanilla bean icecream
Yeah, pretty full after that.
We spent time in the pool, when it wasn't raining, AND when it was, we drank tea, flipped through magazines and had a wonderfully relaxed time. Now back home and HOT and HUMID and RAINING... and, luckily for the environment, my clothes drier isn't working.
So, 2010. My new years resolution is the same as it has been for many years- lose weight and save money. The same, always the same. So then, if eating and spending is what I do, then, perhaps I should embrace it. Maybe, by trying to go against my natural tendencies I'm denying myself of unknown wonders, of a whole new outlook on life. Or maybe I'd just be size 28 and poor. Better the devil you know, as they say, so LOSE WEIGHT AND SAVE MONEY it is. Again. Lets see how I go this year.
Having said that, I'm currently working on a NYE menu for dinner with good friends who are flying back to London on new years day.
I'm thinking of doing something along these lines... from the Gourmet Traveller mag...
But I've also been looking through George Calombaris' new book (a Chrissy gift)...
... and have found this that looks just fab....
(great photography!) ...you can't go past a celebration lamb rack. Can you. Really. You can't. Except, of course, if it's a garlicy, lemony, chicken dish of the Rick Stein variety... hmmmm, I have some thinking to do.
And of course, Pav for afters. Strawberries, blueberries, mango, oh my!